Re: NCDNHC Application and Information Form

From: Dave Crocker (dcrocker@brandenburg.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 09:32:01 PDT

At 08:43 AM 5/30/00 -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> > >b) and which are incorporated as a non-commercial entity (in countries
> > >that have such a provision in their commercial code), or if
> unincorporated
> > >or operating in a country without provisions for non-commercial
> > >incorporation, operate on a not-for-profit basis primarily for
> > >non-commercial purposes, and
> >
> > They do not.
>
>Since when does the IDNO operate on a for-profit basis? Prove your

Sorry. I focused on the first clause. Anyhow, as I said, this isn't a
substantive issue.

> > >c) which are engaged in activities that are primarily non-commercial,
> > >including, e.g. political, educational, religious, charitable, scientific
> > >and artistic.
> >
> > They do not.
>
>See Kent's boat club.

This does an excellent job of showing the need for developing a clear,
shared understanding of what is and is not required of applicants.

In my view the Boat Club has a simple, clear and meaningful reason for
existing, separate from its membership in this Constituency. It has a
separate purpose and the purpose is boating. Within the simple (and
simplistic, but standard) list used for the NCDNHC charter, it falls under
the category of "educational". That might seem strange, but it is well
accepted within everyday usage.

By contrast, the IDNO has no separate purpose and certainly no separate
activity. It does not pursue its charter and even its application came
about through the private action of a few individuals rather than as a
result of an IDNO process.

Does this group want to admit organizations that are formed for no purpose
other than to gain admission -- for a few individuals, rather than for any
meaningful group? That is what I meant by "sham".

>I've brought up the problems with the application process before. Thank
>you for bringing them to a crisis point. Now perhaps we can weed out
>the chaff and get on with the business of actually DOING THINGS TO
>PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF NON-COMMERCIAL DOMAIN NAME HOLDERS, instead of
>turning this group into "organizations of which Kent and Dave approve".

It is unfortunate that personalizing and demonizing remains common
practise. I encourage others not to be distracted by it.

Let's remember that fully ONE-HALF of the ICANN board will be selected by
INDIVIDUAL AT-LARGE members. How can anyone then claim that individuals
will not be adequately represented?

As to the rights of non-commercial domain name holders, there has not yet
been any detailed consideration of what those rights are, as distinct from
any other constituency's rights.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253, Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM