[ncc-charter] The two methods encapsulated

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 12:32:54 PDT

    Folks:
    It's time to wrap up the replacement issue. Below, I have tried to
    summarize the two proposed methods objectively, so that we can vote on them
    and move on.

    We cannot vote quite yet, however, because there are still some undefined
    attributes of the Adcom succession method. Advocates of that method should
    fill in these blanks quickly and then we will move to a vote of the charter
    committee.

    --------------------------------

    Common features of both methods:

    1. An election for three Names Council members is held every two years
    2. The three candidates from different regions who get the highest number
    of total votes are Names Council (NC) members
    3. The two candidates from the two regions not included in NC with the 4th
    and 5th highest vote totals are Adcom members for those regions.
    4. Adcom consists of 5 members, one from each ICANN-designated region

    If one of the three NC members resigns or is eliminated, two succession
    methods are proposed.

    a. Replacement candidate method
    - Each candidate for NC selects a "running mate" that will replace
    him/her in such an event. The replacement must be from the same region and
    must be the NCC representative of a member organization.
    - The name of the running mate is included on the ballot with the
    main candidate
    - The running mate is not considered an Adcom member or a Names
    Council member until or unless the elected candidate resigns or is
    otherwise removed from office
    - If the NC member resigns or is otherwise removed, the running mate
    takes over the position
    - No new election is held until the original two-year term is
    finished, at which point all 5 Adcom and NC positions are elected at the
    same time.

    b. Adcom succession method
    - If a Names Council member resigns or is otherwise removed, the
    Adcom member from a different region who ranked fourth in votes in the
    original election replaces him/her temporarily, until a new election is held.
    - Adcom meets to schedule a new election (should some time period be
    specified?)
    - In the new election, the Adcom members who represent the two
    regions that were not represented on the Names Council must run as
    candidates from that region.
    - (Are other candidates from those two regions permitted?)
    - Members from regions already represented on the Names Council
    cannot run in this election
    - All NCC members can vote in this replacement election
    - The candidate from one of the three regions not already
    represented on the NC who gets the largest vote total is the new NC member.
    - The two candidates from the three regions not already included in
    NC with the 2nd and 3rd highest vote totals are Adcom members for those
    regions.