Re: [ncc-charter] charter amendment - non-voting members?

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 05:08:37 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 01:16:05PM +0900, Adam Peake wrote:

    > (for what it's worth) JPNIC were keen to join, KRNIC are certainly
    > interested in non-commercial activities: sponsored a civil society forum in
    > Seoul before the Yokohama meeting. Many of the AP region cc-tlds
    > registries are active non-commercial organizations.

    Damn. You are right -- I remember that. This leads me to a reason #3:
    We are shooting ourself in our own foot with this restriction. By
    pushing these active non-commercial entities out of our constituency, we
    are potentially *lessening* the influence of the NCC, not increasing it.
    Reason: The NCC is never under any circumstances going to be a majority
    position in the DNSO -- the vast majority of domain registrations are
    commercial. Therefore, the only way that NCC positions will be adopted
    is through the strength of the ideas and the effectiveness with which
    we communicate them. Therefore, good connections with other
    constituencies are vital.