Re: PAB Composition of POC

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 14:56:35 PST

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 10:01:48AM +1300, Peter Mott wrote:
> >one simple question about the PAB appointing folks to the POC.
> >can the PAB appoint folks that have not signed the gTLD-MoU?
>
> Tricky question.

Indeed. Here's what the MoU says about PAB:

    a.Signatories to this MoU may choose to voluntarily participate in
    a gTLD Policy Advisory Body (PAB) that periodically meets either
    in person or on-line.

    b.The role of the Policy Advisory Body is to make recommendations
    to the Policy Oversight Committee (see Section 6) regarding
    general policy matters relating to gTLDs and the DNS and to advise
    the Policy Oversight Committee with respect to amendments to this
    MoU and the CORE-MoU.

    c.The PAB shall apply rough consensus modes for determining its
    recommendations to the POC.

It says "signatories may chose to participate". It does not otherwise
specify how membership in PAB is defined.

Are all current POC members signatories of the MoU? I am under the
impression they are not. There is certainly no requirement for it.
IANA, for example, is free to pick whoever it likes as a
representative.

> Here's my understanding on this ...
>
> The only people who can participate in PAB are those individuals
> appointed by organisations who have signed the gTLD-MoU

Perhaps PAB could create a second class of membership?

> I think when POC offered observer positions, they did this on
> the basis that the observers would in fact be PAB participants.
>
> I would expect that if PAB appointed somebody other than a
> PAB participant (appointed by a gTLD-MoU Signatory) POC
> would reconsider these observation roles.

Perhaps. Sometimes it is helpful to think outside the box, though.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...