[Measday: PAB Proposal for support of IANA.]

From: William Allen Simpson (wsimpson@greendragon.com)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 12:37:42 PDT

How did this Measday get posting privileges on the PAB list?

It is most unfortunate that some folks have not yet learned to use a
mail user agent correctly, and do not follow well understood text
quoting conventions. After wading through the voluminous duplicate and
erroneous formatting, the only substantive comment that is apparent:

> Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:56:08 +0200
> From: Mark Measday <measday@ibm.net>
> Suggestion:
>
> The IFWP process, has, for the last two months, brought together a
> significant number of stakeholders of the Internet from around the
> world.
> The participants represent a substantial subset of the Community of
> Internet Users, and their participation has permitted discussion of some
> of
> the most important issues regarding the re-engineering of IANA.

This comment is egregiously erroneous. The Community of Internet Users
number in the tens of millions, and the IFWP participants number in the
tens. Therefore, the subset is not "substantial" -- "fractional" would
be more correct.

I prefer the previous text of Sola and Crispin, and await the latest
combination before making my own detailed comments.

I also wish it to be very clear that we (PAB) do not encourage the
addition of "individual" memberships on the IANA Board. Instead, the
various support organizations prevent capture, as already discussed.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
    Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32