Re: PAB be constructive.

Antony Van Couvering (avc@netnamesusa.com)
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 18:03:23 -0500

At 12:44 PM 2/5/98 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Beyond this, I have yet to see from you, or from anyone else, a really
>sane statement of what is wrong with our plan. I've heard lots of
>"insufficient representatives from special interest X", but on
>questions of substance, like whether or not particular features of
>what we are planning on doing make sense or not, we hear silence,
>largely because few people have strong arguments against it.

Perry,

At a certain point, it just doesn't matter whether Jim Dixon has good
arguments about the contents of the gTLD-MoU. I think we have reached this
point.

The real criticisms of the gTLD-MoU have had to do with process, not
content. The criticisms have been consistent and multiple. Whether you
agree with that they have merit or not is quite simply irrelevant at this
point. Enough people are convinced that they have merit to have seriously
endangered the gTLD-MoU.

I strongly back the idea of getting more signatories. BUT I do think that
that means getting actual companies to sign. The idea of someone having a
guaranteed block of votes because they "represent" 500 companies is suspect
to me.

In point of fact, when someone from Digital or MCI says something on this
list, people listen because of their size and power. If EuroISPA signs, it
will gain the same respect *within the PAB*.

Outside of the PAB, MCI and Digital are always mentioned as signatories of
the gTLD-MoU for the same reasons. If EuroISPA signs, the gTLD-MoU will
garner increased respect because of it.

The difference between a headline that reads "EuroISPA signs the gTLD-MoU"
and "EuroISPA signs the gTLD-MoU, gets guaranteed block of votes" is that
the first is credible and newsworthy, and the second calls into question
the credibility of the gTLD-MoU.

Jim, I encourage you and all European ISPs to join. If you can fairly
claim to represent European ISPs, your voice here will command respect and
sway votes. The reputation and power of the gTLD-MoU will be enhanced. I
think that insisting on a block of votes won't help your effectiveness here
or the reputation of the gTLD-MoU. You will get that respect informally,
but insisting on terms and conditions for support, especially publicly, is
counterproductive.

Antony