Re: A modest proposal - compare the proposals

Ellen Rony (erony@marin.k12.ca.us)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:02:37 -0800

Esther Dyson wrote:

>It would help those of us who can't do this fulltime to see a side-by-side
>comparison of the various proposals some time before Jan 22.

>This is akin to the task Ellen ROny did so well and faithfully through the
>ICANN/et al. bylaw iterations, but as I understand it she has demurred this
>time.

I was hoping someone would pick up the gauntlet, but having developed a
stylistic mechanism that appears to be effective, I am willing to commit
time to produce this comparison.

HOWEVER, in the case of the ICANN Bylaws comparison, we had a jointly
agreed upon baseline document. Which do I use as the baseline here,
without prejudicing the outcome?

I know that the ORSC document builds on the DNSO.ORG document (December
18), but is there a subsequent DNSO iteration at this point?

If y'all can agree on the URLs that provide the latest DNSO, ORSC and INTA
versions which will be used at the January 22 meeting, I'll work up the
comparison. If the structure varies among them, the differences will be
harder to assess.

My young son asked me to focus on income-producing activities this year, so
what you may sense as diminished enthusiasm for the task ahead is simply
the line I have to maintain between my DNS passion and a need to keep the
wolf away from the door.

Ellen Rony Co-author
The Domain Name Handbook http://www.domainhandbook.com
ISBN 0879305150 *=" ____ / +1 (415) 435-5010