Re: DNSO worries

Dr Eberhard W Lisse (el@linux.lisse.na)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:14:20 +0200

Joop,

In message <199901120058.NAA15253@fep2-orange.clear.net.nz>, Joop Teernstra wriites:
> At 18:51 11/01/99 +0200, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> You are clearly of two minds about who presently make up the
> membership.

Oh yes, I do.

> You are also aware that many of the current participants in the
> discussion are of two minds about joining "the" DNSO. Monterrey
> came up with constituencies; many , including myself, do not think
> this is the best way. Our input is listened to, yes, but you fret
> "where does it end".

I am not making any decisions here, this is my opinon. I do not decide
who is a member or not, fortunately.

Where is your proposal to the Drafting Team? Did I overlook that too?
If you didn't make a proposal, take the Draft 7 and submit language to
Kent, through the lists if you want. By tomorrow if you can...

> "Too bad, there are other applicants" is not the way to bring them
> on board.

And not intended to. Some of them you will not be able to bring on
board, no matter what you do, in other words one will have to draw a
line somewhere, so let them try on their own.Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\ / Swakopmund State Hospital
<el@lisse.NA> * | Resident Medical Officer
Private Bag 5004 \ / +264 81 1246733 (c) 64 461005(h) 461004(f)
Swakopmund, Namibia ;____/ Domain Coordinator for NA-DOM (el108)

> You MUST broaden your base not only for a successful application but
> even more for a successful functioning of your DNSO.

You are preaching to the converted here. However there is no guarantee
whatsoever that I am aware of, at least, that DNSO.ORG is going to be
successful, I in fact have my doubts, because we are in clear and
fragrant violation of INCANN's and our own principles of neutrality,
fairness, openness and transparency, but I remain comitted, to do my
best, to fulfill the mandate that the Drafting Team was given in
Monterrey.

> >I would hope that the Drafting Team can come up with a consensus, eg
> >an application that is accepteable to so many that no formal vote will
> >be necessary. And I have made proposals to the Drafting Team to
> >facilitate this.
> >

> This is too vague, Eberhard. You will have a bonfight about
> quantifying "acceptable to so many".

Yes, I know, but what can I do, but try?

> If your application is really going to be so acceptable to so many,
> then why do you need to be afraid that it will not be legitimised in
> an open vote on your discuss list?

Who's afraid to do this? Not me, I have suggested to the Drafting Team
and to the Transition Team opening all "closed" lists. I have received
no support in this, in fact been insulted in the most unprofessional
manner I have ever encountered during any substantive disussion in 15
years on the net, but will try again on the next Teleconference.

I have written repeatedly that I see the mandate of the Drafting Team
as to produce the draft of an application that can be submitted to the
membership. We have been mandated by the participants of Monterry.

Whether participants or discuss is the forum to decide, is not my
present concern. It really seems to a troubling concept to some.

el