Re: Redtape

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:34:53 -0700

On Wed, Sep 17, 1997 at 09:07:14AM -0700, richard wrote:
> Dear Mr Jazzerr,
>
> As an advocate of increased private boater access, I also think you should
> be able to go as often as you wish, and if you gotta go bankrupt to make
> your dreams come to true I can sure understand your desire. I suggest that
> if one system can offer a trip basically on demand, and at this point
> dosen't have a trip wait list even one full year behind, and is advertising
> to fill trips, while the other is waiting now probably twenty years, and
> it's wait list grows three years every year, then with that system
> something is wrong. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" means just that. At
> the Slc meet most people agreed something was wrong or no one would have
> been in attendance. For many people who attebded the outfitters buffets,
> everything is fine and they made up the bulk of attendance. Didn't you
> notice that a lot of those refered to comments were written in the same
> hand, with the same pen?
>
> For those who have the finances and desire to be on a guided trip, the
> system does work well. As BobDylan once said "...the times, they are a
> changin'..."
>
> Best wishes
> Richard

This is a pretty complicated issue, and there are many ways to look
at it. Consider the following argument for the commercial boater
perspective:

The percentage of people who are capable of running their own trip
is miniscule compared to the much larger group who love the Canyon
but don't have the skills, time, or physical abilities to do their
own trip. The commercial boaters serve this much larger segment of
the population, and thus the much larger allocation of userdays is
justified.

For example, some commercial outfitters run special trips for the
disabled.

Another thing to consider is that there is a wide range of commercial
trip options, from 3-day cattle car and megaphone trips to more than
two week oar trips. It may be that the 3-day trips do serve the
useful function of giving lots of people a taste for the Canyon
(I wouldn't want to argue that case :-), but the longer commercial
oar trips are a lot closer to a private trip.

It does seem to me that the scheme for handling cancellations could
be vastly improved -- some variation on the auction idea seems like a
good start.

Also, I think that the idea of a new intermediate between commercial
trips and private trips is good -- a "paid freelance guide" trip,
sort of...

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...