Re: (Fwd) Comments on Colorado River Management Plan

Carl Anderson (carl@moab-canyonlands.com)
Wed, 08 Oct 1997 18:22:49 -0600

At 11:20 AM 10/8/97 +0600, Judy wrote:

Also, I am concerned
>about introducing lots of new different guiding services - that's not
>necessarily a plus - Joe's JetBoat Canyon tours - do the Canyon by jet boat
>and have a baloney boat carry your gear. Great. Well, it would probably
>decrease demand for other trips.

This type of trip will not happen with the current regulations dealing with
horsepower limitations on all motorized boats. Maximum of 55 HP allowed.
Jet drives take much more than this to work.

> One other comment - I think there is something to be said for
>rewarding people who are ready to give up things for their Canyon trip, or
>are ready to get up and go at a moment's notice for a trip. There's all
>this talk about how times change over 8 years and maybe now you have kids
>that have school and you can't go etc etc. I agree that 8 years is too long
>to wait, and that it would be nice to be able to have some sense of where
>you'll be in life when you get your permit, but there is also some element
>of valuing the trip that comes into play. How important is the Canyon trip
>to you? People who give up things to go, whether it's a whole lifestyle -
>people who choose the financial precariousness of a freer lifestyle - or
>something more short-term like use up all their vacation or sick leave or
>take unpaid leave or quit their job or take the kids out of school or
>whatever - are showing the degree to which they value the Canyon trip. It
>is clearly greater than that of people who do not make those sacrifices - I
>think it's OK that they be rewarded to some extent for their extra
>devotion. People give up a lot to have a lifestyle that allows them to get
>up and go. Why should the people with the steady income, house, insurance,
>retirement fund, all the bennies of stable lifestyle necessarily have the
>rules changed to suit them in scheduling their Canyon trips?

I guess myself and most of my boating buddies will & do make sacrifices to
go on a Grand Canyon river trip. My girlfriend took her 12 year old out of
school for my last trip in March. So did another friend with his two boys
aged 10 and 11. For these people the opportunity of a Grand Canyon trip
was worth it.

This also shows that the very young can and do go on private trips (one of
the big reasons the commercials use to support their positions is providing
access to the young and old).

Carl Anderson